Adam runs a small B&B in Herefordshire and is also a craftsman. His craft-related blog, The Craft Bench, can be seen here

Saturday 28 August 2010

Microwave baking



I'm fascinated by the microwave. I tend to only use it to heat things up - milk for coffee, some baked beans, etc etc. And of course for re-heating a cup of coffee there's nothing better!

However... baking???

Well, surfing the web the way I do on 'Stumbler' I find myself coming across various cooking sites - aimed predominantly at students I suspect - that promote the five-minute-brownie-made-in-a-mug. I have tried this and, yes it's ok... but not everyone likes spooning cake out of a mug!

I've just thrown this together this afternoon and it was cooked and ready before the kettle had boiled for the tea to go with it:

1 tbsp potato flour
1 tbsp brown rice flour (see my previous post regarding wheat flour)
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp chocolate chips
1/2 tsp baking powder
A pinch salt
1 egg
1 tbsp marmalade
1 tbsp oil

Put dry ingredients into a microwave-proof bowl (I used a plastic pudding basin), mix well. Then add the other ingredients and mix VERY well.
Put the bowl as is into the microwave and nuke on full power for 1.5 to 2 minutes. Looks a bit anaemic when it comes out, but let it cool a bit then turn onto a plate and you wont notice. In fact, with a bit of luck, you'll have a goey chocolate ring round the top.

For a chocolate cake just add cocoa. Hey - play with the ingredients!! These are fairly small quantities we're talking about here - it's not a complete disaster if it doesn't really work very well. Probably nothing a good dollop of custard wouldn't put right!!

No comments:

Post a Comment