Adam runs a small B&B in Herefordshire and is also a craftsman. His craft-related blog, The Craft Bench, can be seen here

Tuesday 17 January 2012

Darkest of Dark

Being the eco-friendly bunny that I am, I would like to have been able to use organic sugar for my marmalade but, alas, it's very hard to come by out here in the sticks! So, instead, I tried one batch using 100% unrefined sugar - Billington's Dark Muscovado. There's a serious cost implication here as unrefined is four times as expensive as refined, but hey an experiment's an experiment!

The resulting brew is so dark as to be almost black.....
and needed particular care with stirring. The end result is an amazingly rich, almost chocolatey marmalade, quite unlike anything I've tasted before!

This batch will have to be kept as 'special' and will only find its way to my guests if I am aware they have a particular liking for very dark marmalade...

Here's a photo to show what a difference there is between the 'original' - on the left - and the 'dark' - on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment