Adam runs a small B&B in Herefordshire and is also a craftsman. His craft-related blog, The Craft Bench, can be seen here

Thursday 13 December 2012

SOUP, glorious soup!

Winter is a time for soups, that's for sure!  Whilst I love good thick, creamy concoctions, at the moment I'm making myself lighter, more oriental-inspired soups.

I don't really measure things for this, but I generally start with a couple of finely chopped spring onions (everything about these soups needs to be very finely chopped/diced). Then I add some smoked streaky bacon if I have it or, better still, make tiny weeny meatballs out of a sausage.

For simplicity's sake, take it as read that everything is finely chopped - I'm not going to keep typing it!

Then it's a thumbnail of fresh ginger, a quarter of a carrot, quarter of a baby turnip, a bit of fennel, a teaspoon of a rather nice spice paste called Massaman paste (from Epicure) plus about half a teaspoon of Harissa paste - depending on your heat tolerance - plus a squelch of tomato paste.

Stir it all up in a saucepan over a good heat and add about 200ml boiling water. Bring back to the boil and add one portion of fine Oriental noodles.  Simmer for as long as the noodle packet says (generally 3 or 4 minutes), add some soy sauce, some coconut milk perhaps and salt if you need it.

Serve in the biggest soup bowl you can lay your hands on - the noodles flop about and splash all-over the place.


This lovely bowl is made by a local potter who clearly thought I was bonkers wanting anything quite so big as a soup bowl!

No comments:

Post a Comment